You thought I was kidding when I asked if I could just write What I’m Reading posts indefinitely, didn’t you? I mean, I WAS kidding, and yet I haven’t written a real post in three weeks. I feel slightly more settled than last week, but I’m still moving at the speed of light, hopping all over the place to see friends and having trouble finding time to sit down to read or blog.
- Attending my first reading invasion! One Monday evening each month (during summer), readers “invade” a different public space. And by invade, I mean, a few dozen people show up to a park with blankets and chairs and then just read quietly for an hour. It was basically pure bliss, and I’m planning to write a full post about it when I get my blogging mojo back.
- Doing quite a bit of hiking, although I use the word “hiking” very loosely. I really just went for a few walks on trails through the woods with friends. People around here call that hiking because we don’t have many trails that ACTUALLY deserve the term. It’s fun nonetheless.
- Catching some end-of-summer fireworks and listening to a questionably talented cover band. (Yes, those are grain elevators painted to look like a Labatt six-pack in the photo above.)
- Taking in some great views of downtown Buffalo from the observation deck at our gorgeous art deco City Hall — and then seeing a great view of City Hall itself from the top of another building.
- Enjoying craft beer and an excellent cheese plate at my favorite bar with a good friend.
- Having a game night and totally dominating at my first-ever game of Risk.
So, I didn’t get a ton of reading done. You’re shocked right? I’m still inching my way through Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. I’m loving it, but I’m only managing to read 20-30 pages per day, so despite starting it more than a week ago, I’m still barely halfway through. I haven’t even done much audiobook listening, so I haven’t really made any progress in Circling the Sun by Paula McLain.
What are you reading (or failing to read) this week?