I’ve been in a Roaring ’20s spirit lately, and I’ve decided to run with it. I’ve never hosted an event on my blog before, but I’m excited to announce my first! Get ready for Jazz Age January. I have a feeling it’s going to be the bees knees… the cat’s pajamas, if you will. I’m nearly copacetic with excitement. (How much ’20s slang can I fit in one blog post? Let’s find out.)
Know Your Onions (or what this baloney is all about):
I’m inviting bloggers to read books related to the Jazz Age during the month of January. Readers are welcome to read novels written by Jazz Age authors, non-fiction about the ’20s, and contemporary fiction set during this time period.
After doing some research, I’ve come up with a list of recommended books, but readers are welcome (and encouraged) to read outside of these titles; I’d love to learn about Jazz Age books I don’t know about yet!
Books by Jazz Age authors:
- The Beautiful and Damned – F. Scott Fitzgerald
- Save Me the Waltz – Zelda Fitzgerald
- A Moveable Feast – Ernest Hemingway
- The Sun Also Rises – Ernest Hemingway
- The Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas – Gertrude Stein
- Careless People: Murder, Mayhem, and the Invention of The Great Gatsby – Sarah Churchwell (pub. Jan. 23)
- Zelda – Nancy Milford
- Ernest Hemingway: The Paris Years – Michael Reynolds
- The Poisoner’s Handbook: Murder and the Birth of Forensic Medicine in Jazz Age New York – Deborah Blum
- Flapper: A Madcap Story of Sex, Style, Celebrity, and the Women Who Made America Modern – Joshua Zeitz
- Anything Goes: A Biography of the Roaring Twenties – Lucy Moore
- The Paris Wife – Paula McLain
- Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald – Therese Anne Fowler
- Call Me Zelda – Erika Robuck
- The Chaperone – Laura Moriarty
- The Other Typist – Suzanne Rindell
How to Participate:
All you have to do to participate in this event is read at least one Jazz Age book and write about it on your blog! I plan to read ’20s books all month, but participants are free to read as many or few books for this event as they please.
If you plan on joining the fun, please sign up using the Mister Linky widget at the bottom of this post. The event will start on January 1, and I will post weekly linkups for participants to share their posts. Non-review/reflection posts are welcome, too! Feel free to write informational posts about the Jazz Age and its authors, recommendation lists, or anything that catches your fancy.
Please grab the button at the top of this post and post it somewhere on your blog, like in an introductory post or in the sidebar, to share this event with others and help spread the word!
If you’d like to share your posts or discuss the event on Twitter, use the hashtag #JazzAgeJanuary.
In addition to reading some amazing books and learning about this fascinating period of time, participants will have the chance to win a book of their choice from Penguin’s beautifully designed Fitzgerald Classics editions. I’m so in love with the art deco covers on these hardbacks!
I will announce the full details of this giveaway in the event’s start post on Jan. 1, so make sure to check in!
Well, I’d best be off. I’m totally zozzled on white lightning, and I’m getting the bum’s rush to clear out of this speakeasy. I’ll see all you Janes and dewdroppers at the starting line next month!