Good morning everyone! Today is the first day of Bloggiesta, a three-day blogging fiesta that encourages bloggers to improve their sites. There are some great mini-challenges in which veteran bloggers share their expertise on topics such as SEO, hosting online book clubs, getting the most out of Goodreads, etc. over on the Bloggiesta website.
Although the marathon runs through Sunday, this will be the only day I participate; I work from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays, and I can already tell you I’m not going to do much blog improvement after spending 11 hours at work. Ooh, and Tom and I are having an old college friend visit Saturday! That will be fun but not very conducive to blogging. But I plan on spending most of today parked in front of the computer with hot tea and beer bread (I know, not very Mexican) — but I do have leftover spicy chili pizza for lunch! Anyway, there’s a lot of upkeep I need to do on my blog, and I hope to make some good progress! Here’s what I hope to accomplish:
- Cross post old reviews. I cross-post my reviews on Goodreads, LibraryThing, Shelfari, Bookish, and Amazon. It’s kind of annoying to do, so I’m super behind!
- Update tags. I’m going to go through all of my tags, weed out unnecessary ones, and make sure they are consistent (singular/plural, wording, etc.)
- Update spreadsheets. I keep spreadsheets to track my reading and keep track of upcoming release/review/blog tour dates, and I just need to make sure they’re updated.
- Make sure all archive links work. I’ve noticed occasionally that a link in one of my archives doesn’t work. I’m planning on going through and making sure all of them link correctly.
- Tag all reviews with publisher and release date. This is something I’ve started doing recently, so now I need to go through all of my old reviews and update the tags.
- Add source line to review headers. A few months ago, I changed up the way I start my review posts. To comply with the new FTC disclosure requirements, I now include a source line so readers can see whether I bought a book, got it from the library, or received it from a publisher before reading the review. I need to update older posts to include this.
- Catch up on reviews. Right now, I have to review Packing for Mars, The Hunger Games trilogy, The Round House, and Songs of Willow Frost. I probably won’t get all of these written, but I hope to write at least two reviews!
- Update reading schedule. I keep a reading schedule to make sure I have plenty of time to read books for blog tours and reviews. It helps make me feel organized and keeps me from getting stressed out. My current schedule goes through the middle of October, and I need to schedule a bit farther out. (Don’t worry, it’s not a super strict schedule. It’s like “from this date to this date, read this review book. Then for the next however many days, read a non-review book of your choice.” I like it because it keeps me from worrying about reading certain books on time, but I still have flexibility when it comes to other reading.)
- Clean out feed readers. Scrolling through WordPress and Bloglovin’, I’ve noticed there are some blogs that I always scroll right past. I’m going to clean out my feeds so I just see posts from blogs I really want to read. Time to declutter!
- On a Book Bender’s Link Love: How to Give Good SEO mini challenge. I know a little bit about SEO, but it turns out I didn’t know anything about SEO for links! I’m going to do her challenge and work on optimizing the links in a few of my posts for practice.
- The Book Addict’s Guide’s How to Make Goodreads Work for You mini challenge. I learned so much about new ways to use Goodreads from her post! I can’t wait to use some of the features she talks about.
I don’t know if I can get all of this done today (I have some errands to run, too), but I’m certainly going to try!
Happy reading, and good luck to everyone else participating in Bloggiesta!
3:00 p.m.: So far I have:
- Cross posted ten reviews. I’m about a quarter of the way done with all cross posting.
- Added publisher/year published tags to all book reviews
- Weeded out my feed readers. I deleted about 40 blogs from my readers! Many of them seem to be defunct, so deleting them won’t really reduce the number of updates I get, but it feels good to clear out the dead blogs.
- Checked all links on archive pages and fixed the broken ones
- Updated tags. I reduced my number of tags by almost 100 by deleting ones that weren’t useful and consolidating others to more general terms.
11:00 p.m.: I completed:
- One review. After my 3:00 update, I ran some errands, took a walk, and had dinner/hung out with Tom. All I accomplished this evening (besides drink a lot of whiskey) was writing one review. I’m pleased with today’s progress, though!